Painting my wood floor white, and a change of mind.

 
 
Hello my friends,
 
When we bought our home 8 1/2 years ago there were a couple things that I didn't love about it, but knew that I could change them down the road a ways.
 
One was the tan trim and the other was the fact that the wood in the living room was different than the other wood in the house.
 
We recently replaced and added wood to more rooms.  I chose a chiseled walnut.  I debated about doing the same wood in the living room, but decided that I really wanted to try painting it.  I love the Scandinavian homes I see with white wooden floors.
 
This is what it looked like BEFORE.
 
 



It's hard to tell in the photo, but the wood was an orange/red color.  Reminded me of the fruitwood stain we used a lot back in my tole painting days.  :)
 
 
And here is the AFTER.

 
 

Looking in from our entry.


I would love to hear what you think!  I originally planned on sanding it, to give it a distressed look.  At the last minute I changed my mind.  Women are allowed to do that you know.  (wink) I thought I would live with it as is for a few months.  I can always go back and sand it later if I want.

 
This room was not dark before, but now it's definitely white and bright!

 
I took a lot of pictures so you could see if from different angles.
 
I learned a few tips about painting wood floors.  If it has a shiny surface, (which mine did) or is a laminate; Kilz will not cut it as a primer.  My friend, Kaylyn learned this the hard way.  The paint will peel off.  She told me about B.I.N. Hubby picked it up for me at Lowes.  After some research I saw that others who had painted wood floors suggested it as well.
 

First I painted the edges with a brush and then I rolled the middle.  This extender pole worked great for not having to bend over!
 
Notice those dark spots at the back of the wall?  At first I thought I hadn't covered it good and it needed another coat.  Then I realized it was the shadows from my pom pom garland.  lol!
 
 
The primer said it dried in 45 minutes, but I let it dry overnight.  The next morning I gave it a second coat.
 

 
Later that day I gave it two coats of a latex enamel porch and flooring paint.  Mine was Royal brand from Ace Hardware.
 
 

 
Looking out into the entry.

 
Now here's a question for you my friends.  I saw this sweet pink rug at Home Goods before I painted the floor.  It's not as big I wanted.  It's 4 x 6.  I would have liked a 5x7 or 8 x 10, but bought it anyway, knowing that I could return it if it didn't work.
 
 
I put it on an angle coming out from the coffee table.  I was going to see what it looked like under the table, but honestly didn't want to remove the Valentine décor again.

 
I do love the color with my pink cabinet and bird chair.
 

 


 
 So what do you think?  Too white, and I need to distress it, or do you like it as is?  Either way, I'm leaving it for a while.  But, I'd love to hear your opinion.  (hee-hee)
 
Oh, and I thought you might want to know that I opted to not varnish it.  After reading up I ran across one gal that had done three floors.  She said they all yellowed in the corners a little.  She didn't seal the last one and likes it better.  I figure that way I can distress it if I decide to later and also would make touch up easier. 
NOTE:  This room rarely gets used.  Not sure if you would want to leave a high traffic area unsealed.
 
And yea, or neigh on the rug?
It was only $60, so I'm thinking leave it and keep my eyes out for something a little bigger.
 
Leave me a little note, I'd love to hear!!
 
hugs,
 
 
I will be sharing with these fun parties:

26 comments

Stacey said...

I love the white floor! Do you think it will distress naturally over time? If so that would be pretty too. A little distressing would be pretty if you want to do it but I like it now.

The pink rug is wonderful but seems a little small where it is now. Could you put it over there with the patchwork chair? Keep the rug...it's too cute to take back.

When we were picking the stain for our wood floors I tried to ask the men about whitewashing the floor. They looked at me like I was insane but I just don't think they had seen the look before. To me it's so cottagey and fresh. Also, I'm looking for a pink rug for my laundry room so you are reminding me to keep my eyes open at Homegoods.

Debby Ray said...

Wow, what a difference the white floor makes! I think I would personally like the distressed look but like you said, that can always be done later. I do like the rug but I would probably opt for one a little larger...still on the diagonal. And I just LOVE the couch! Did you buy it like that or cover it yourself? That would look just darling in my future farm house!

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

I love the painted floor, Jann! You did a great job on it. The furniture in there is so darling, too. I'm thinking that the rug is a little small-ish for the area, but it's so cute.

Creations By Cindy said...

Jann, the white floor is really pretty. I cannot believe the difference it made. Crazy what a fresh coat of paint will do for the wall or the floor. I do love the rug too but would opt for larger size. I spotted those plates in that room too!!! Hope you have a wonderful day. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Linda Nelson said...

Cute room. By the way, I use Bins (water based)to prime my walls before painting. It's a great product. The rug pattern and color works perfectly in the room; however, you must up the size. Also, putting it on an angle is not necessary. That's not where I would elect to add that much desired decorating "edge" for this room. I like that you went with painting the floor, but it blends right into the back wall. Revealing the grooves in the floor planks with some distressing, or going with a "warm" white for a final coat (like the color of the coffee table) might do the trick. I personally appreciate painted floors that look a bit worn in and scuffed up, even pickled/stained so that the wood tone show through.

Nikki said...

I was going to say the same thing as Stacy ... maybe move the rug to in front of the chair since it is so small. I do love the color! And I like the painted floor. Such a nice change.
:) gwingal

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

I like painted floors, and it may distress itself with normal daily use. A large stencil over it in another shade of white or very light gray or the color of your coffee would also be neat, and sand the stencil. I think the rug would look super cute at an angle with the whimsical upholstered corner chair. Maybe the front lengths on it and the rug horizontal. It would make for a cozy corner. xoxo Su

Unknown said...

Jann WOW the floor is so beautiful! The floor will patina it's self down the road but if you don't want to wait that long then give it a little scuff or use some dark wax on top of it. Patina does had a lot of contrast. As far as the rug I would either not have one or go with one that fits the sitting area. You could layer rugs as well. I think vintage ones would look amazing layered. This is such a fun room to play with you have so many great pieces. Have fun!
xoxo Jo

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Love the painted floor! I think it looks great and a little distressing would also look good. I love the rug but it is too small. I love how it all looks!

Rose L said...

I love the way it looks now. Don't distress it! Your place is so lovely!

Cherie said...

Jann, that looks stunning. I would love to paint the floor in one of our rooms white but Tony would just hate it... I will just have to live with carpets

Curtains in My Tree said...


love IT !!!!!!!! It's lovely

maybe it will scuff up by itself over time.
Wish the rug was larger however maybe look for another one just like the small one you have, You will come across another one you like that is larger ,maybe?
I LOVE that multi fabric chair you have

DO did a great job


Janice lover of white

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

I love the white painted floor. I am not as brave as you are but I would love that look in my home. I love the rug too. I think it would look great under the coffee table in front of the sofa for now (going the same direction as the coffee table), but I would definitely size up to fill more of the floor.

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Jann,
What a beautiful room!! Love all of it!! Thanks so much for stopping by!!
Hugs,
Debbie

Pam said...

Hello. You were brave to tackle that job! I think a bit of distressing would enhance the look you are going for. I like the rug, though a bit
larger might work better. I have a difficult time just choosing and
then painting a room! Good job.

Kim said...

I love your painted floor, Jann. Me thinks one can never have too many painted white floors.....but that's just me. =) I love it just the way it is. I am secretly coveting that beautiful chair of yours. Gorgeous room, lovely lady!

Margie from Toronto said...

Love the white and you certainly did a great job! But much as I like the pink rug I think it looks lost. A larger rug - at least 5' x 7' would make a big difference (I speak from experience on this). Also, perhaps a piece of furniture to go underneath the mirror? It's probably just the photo angle but the floor blending into the wall makes it seem like a big block of white.
Love that you use so much colour in your soft furnishings - it looks so cheerful!

happyone said...

I'm the odd one out here because I liked the wood floor better. I do like the rug, though I would have went with a bigger one.
I really like your couch.

Jeanie said...

I could never bear to paint over my wood floors but every home is different and you did a wonderful job with it. I still lean toward the warmth of the wood versus the cool of the white but you have so many pretty and colorful things that you make it work.

Art and Sand said...

This makes me want to paint our guest room floor!

Have you checked Rugs USA? The prices are great, lots of different styles and sizes, they frequently have sales so if you're interested sign up for their emails and you'll know the right time to buy. We bought our jute rugs from them and our daughter has several of them in her home.

Mary@mydogsmygardenandmary said...

I love your painted floors - they look terrific. The rug is very pretty, but not big enough for the couch. I would put it in front of your pretty chair.

Love the room with your painted floor and furniture.

Hugs,
Mary

Joanne said...


Oh I LOVE LOVE LOVE your new floor! zi so wish I could do that in my tiny home! I love your pink accents too!
Blessings, Joanne

Daniela said...

Dearest Jann,
I think that you added such a charming and bright touch to your rooms, well done!

Wishing you a most lovely new week

XOXO Dany

Lauren @ My Wonderfully Made said...

I'm a big fan of white and bright - definitely like the look of the white floor. I'm a fan of distressing so I'd probably distress it. The rug I think works since it's on an angle like that but if you're looking for VERY reasonable and EXCELLENT quality rugs, check out RugsUSA.com. I did a post about a rug I bought for our bedroom from them and it is beautiful!

Cindy Lou said...

Looks great!

Magali@TheLittleWhiteHouse said...

I like white painted wood floors. I painted my bathroom floor. It gets used a lot and is unsealed. It does have a few dents, but it goes with the old cottage look!

Instagram